The Q&A Archives: Growing in Puerto Rico

Question: I live in Puerto Rico and would like to know what kind of fruit and vegetables and flowers would have a good chance to grow in our weather? I have a some land in the mountains two thousand feet above sea level. We have oranges and grapefruit growing so far and a banana and plantain plant.

Answer: I would think that any plants grown as annuals would do fine there, and some may even be perennial in that environment. So vegetables like tomatoes, beans, eggplant, etc. (the heat-loving vegetables) should do well. I am not familiar with the weather there, especially at high altitudes. If you are growing bananas, then it must be mild! Some cool-weather crops like broccoli might not thrive there during the hot parts of the year--but may do well in winter. The timing and duration of any rainy seasons will affect what you can plant.

The Cooperative Extension Service has an office in Puerto Rico; the phone number is 787-833-2665. They would probably be your best source for advice.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"