The Q&A Archives: Grapefruit tree won't bloom

Question: I have a Grapefruit tree (not sure what type) that I have had for about 5 years. The 1st 2 years it bloomed and had the sweetest fruit-not many but some. After that it has never bloomed but has the prettiest leaves all year long. It is about 5 feet tall. How can I get it to bloom again? Please help.

Answer: Environmental reasons and cultural practices are about all that will affect citrus trees. If the weather is cold when flower buds are developing, they can drop and the tree will not produce new ones; if the tree is over fertilized it will put all of its effort into green growth rather than flowers; if the tree is pruned at the wrong time, potential flower buds can be pruned off, and finally, sometimes citrus trees fall into an alternate year blooming cycle. You can't control the weather but you can control how much fertilizer your tree receives and when you choose to prune. Citrus are heavy feeders but nitrogen should be on the low side. Try a 10-20-20 formula to promote flowering. If you prune, do so immediately after fruit is harvested. Hope this information is helpful.