The Q&A Archives: Transplanting Bleeding Heart?

Question: I have a Bleeding Heart (old-fashioned) that is in it's 4th year of blooming. It's huge and is threatening to take over the whole bed. It is close to the house and the leaves are now rubbing against the house. When is the best time to transplant it and can I divide it. If so, how?

Answer: Dicentra, the Bleeding Heart, is a prolific plant in the right place. You should wait until late fall, after the foliage has died down, to divide and transplant your Bleeding Heart. Just dig and divide the root mass, taking sections of roots with a stem attached, and plant them in their new homes. Mark the plants with a stick or stake so you won't forget where you've planted them. In the spring you'll have several new Bleeding Heart plants.