The Q&A Archives: Daylilies

Question: What can I do to keep my daylilies from having ugly streaks on the leaves? Some are worse than others. They have long yellow and brown streaks.

Answer: There are a number of diseases and pests that cause this type of streaking. I suspect mosaic virus in your case. If I am correct, the only thing you can do is to remove the plants. There are no chemicals or controls to eliminate viral diseases. When working around these plants, be sure to wash your hands and dip any tools in alcohol before touching other plants. As I mentioned, there are other reasons for this type of streaking, it is difficult to diagnose exactly what is wrong without seeing the plant. The only way to get a definitive diagnosis is to have your County Extension Service take a look at a specimen. You can reach them at ph. 540-967-3422. Good Luck!