The Q&A Archives: What kind of plant is it?

Question: I have a shrub which has pink flowers and red berries. The branches are thin, with the seed heads drying up and black. I think this is unsightly and I prune them off. I hate to prune too much off since I don't know how the plant will react the following year.

Answer: I don't know what kind of shrub you are growing but if you prune it at the right time of year, it should fill out and become thicker, and it should still flower on time. The best time to prune flowering shrubs is just after they have finished flowering. When the flowers are spent and just as the seed heads are forming, prune your shrub back - by a few inches to up to one third of its size. Pruning will encourage new growth and you will see flowers right on time the following year.