The Q&A Archives: Tulips

Question: My tulips came back. What should I do in order for them to produce blooms and not just leaves?

Answer: Tulips grow from bulbs which are big storage organs. Flowers are produced when there is enough energy stored in the bulb to grow roots and leaves and then flowers. The leaves of the plant are what produces the stored energy so it is important that they be allowed to wither and die back on their own to replenish the energy in the bulb. Now that they have leaves on them, your bulbs should be storing all the energy they will need to develop flowers next spring. Just leave them alone, let the leaves die back naturally and then pull the dead leaves off the plant. Next year they should perform beautifully for you. Enjoy!