The Q&A Archives: Kaffir Lily Does Not Bloom

Question: I bought a Kaffir Lily about 4 yrs. ago, and after it bloomed, I let the flowers wilt naturally. I didn't do anything to the stalk from which the clusters bloomed, but it shriveled up. I didn't know what the appropriate thing to do was, but by the looks of it, it seemed it was going to dry up, so I pulled it out. I know that they like to stay in one place and have a growing time from Feb. till Sept., and that thereafter no feeding or watering is required. However, I still have only the leaves, and no sign of a new blossom stalk coming out. What should I do to stimulate bloom?

Answer: Other things that Kaffir Lily needs are full sun, cool, well-drained soil, and regular watering. They bloom best when moisture is abundant, but don't let soil get soggy. They prefer cool nights (60F), and the tubers should be divided every 2-4 years and repotted. They're best divided in early spring before they put out a lot of growth. Leave 3-5 eyes per tuber to ensure healthy top growth. I hope this helps your lily bloom again!