The Q&A Archives: daffodils

Question: my boyfriend mowed down my daffodils to early last year and this year my daffodils seem

Answer: From your comments I think you know that bulbs need to have their leaves left alone until they die down naturally. As long as the leaves are green they are manufacturing and transporting carbohydrates back to the bulbs. This is the energy the bulbs will use for the following year's growth and floral display. Mowing them down too early will result in less energy in the bulbs. The best thing you can do is to allow the foliage to die down naturally before mowing the area. This will ensure that your bulbs will store all the energy they need to grow well next spring. No fertilizer is required, but you can dig some phosphorus into the soil if you'd like to give them a boost. A fertilizer called Bloom Booster is a good source of phosphorous and potassium.