The Q&A Archives: nasty vine weeds

Question: I bought a house a year ago (WI), so for my first summer I left the garden alone to see what might be there from before. First came a green ground cover that exploded into a mass of strong vines 5-6 feet tall that strangled out the blackberry bushes (only other plant visible in the garden). I tried to pull them, but they take root wherever they touch ground and sent up new shoots -what can I do?

Answer: Some eradication measures are plant specific and I am not certain what the vines might be. I suspect wild morning glory (also called field bindweed) with funnel shaped flowers, but I could be wrong. You can take a sample of the plant to your local nursery or cooperative extension office for positive identification and control strategies. In the meantime, if it were my garden, I would dig the plants out, roots and all to keep them from producing seeds until another control measure can be found. Good luck with your new garden!