The Q&A Archives: Small shady patio garden

Question: I have some room for a small garden in front of my house, mostly shady. I would like to plant blooming perrenials. What flowers can I use in Massachusetts?

Answer: Perennials that set bloom in shade include Anemone, Columbine, Astilbe, Campanula, lily-of-the-valley, Dicentra,
Digitalis, Ferns, Hosta, daylilies, Liriope, Monarda, Pachysandra, Thalictrum, and Vinca minor. There are lots of other native wildflowers that bloom in shade, too. The Massachusetts chapter of the New England Wildflower Society can offer you a list and sources for these. It's important to read more about these species to be sure they will grow in your particular soil and light/shade conditions. The Wildflower Folks mentioned above can direct you, and you can check out these sites on the web for details/links: New England Wildflower Society -
National Wildflower Research Center -