The Q&A Archives: Soil prep

Question: My beggie garden was pathetic last year! the tomatoes didn't produce, no eggplants, peppers were moderate & even the squash was minimal. I hadn't turned the soil because we put landscape fabric on it the year before. This year I'm pulling the fabric off so I can work the soil. what should I be adding to the soil to give it a boost? I've used manure in the past.

Answer: Glad you're taking off the weed barrier fabric! You can suppress weeds by using a heavy mulch. I use several thicknesses of newspaper, or even cardboard over the bare soil after planting my veggies and then cover over that with straw. These organic materials can then be turned over into the soil at the end of the gardening season and they help enrich the soil. For now, spread aged manure or compost over the entire bed and dig it in to a depth of 8-10 inches. Level the soil, plant your veggies and then mulch over the bare soil to suppress weeds. Best wishes with your garden!