The Q&A Archives: garden size and hours of sun needed

Question: I am planning on a permanent raised bed garden with 10-12 herbs, 2 tomatoe plants and maybe a couple of squash plants. How big should it be? Can you suggest dimensions good for a raided bed garden? Also, the garden will get morning sun up to late afternoon, depending on location. How many hours does it need if it starts with morning sun? Thanks

Answer: I find it easier to garden in a raised bed that is only about 3 feet wide. That way I can reach everything from both sides without straining. You can make yours wider if you prefer but it is a consideration. I suspect you will start out with only a few herbs and tomato plants but as the seasons progress you will want to add more and more plants. So, if the space allows, make your bed 6-8 feet long and about 3 feet wide. This should provide ample room. Most herbs like a minimum 6 hours of sun a day; tomatoes and squash will grow well with a minimum of 6 hours sun - more will be better - so plant them in the sunniest spots available.