The Q&A Archives: Plants for South Side of House

Question: What can I plant on south side of house, up against the house, to fill in between rose bushes?.

Answer: There are a number of choices. If you bushes are fairly close together, I would stick with a low-growing ground cover like ivy. Roses don't like a lot of competition from other plant roots. If you have plenty of space between the roses, you have lots of options! Daylilies are a good, hardy plant. 'Stella D'Oro blooms all summer. Yarrow and Dianthus are also good, durable choices. Or you could choose foliage plants: Artimisia 'Silver Brocade' is a silvery green plant growing to a height of 12"; Stachys 'Big Ears' is an attractive plant with fuzzy leaves. Prostrate juniper is another possibility. Or you could mix and match foliage and flowering plants. I'd visit a local garden center to see some of these plants "in person".