The Q&A Archives: Lawns Pet Urine Damage

Question: I was listeneing to the local gardening program on the radio, and I missed what to do with this recipe for pet urine damage on the lawn. It was 1Tb. of baking soda to 1 gallon of water. But I missed what to do with this. Does anyone know what I should do with it? Is it to prevent the dog from urinating, or is it to repair the area?
I know how to repair the area with new sod, but I'd be interested to know what this baking soda thing is.

Answer: Though I haven't heard of this treatment, my guess would be that you pour this solution on the spot where the dog urinated, to neutralize the acidity of the urine (the baking soda solution is alkaline). I think that you would have to do this fairly soon after the dog finished, however, for the treatment to work at all. Simply flushing the area with lots of water from the hose may be just as effective. If it is practical in your situation, give it a try!