The Q&A Archives: Growing Raspberries/ Blackberries

Question: I live in Denver and I was wondering what time of year is best to plant Raspberries and Blackberries? As you know it can be 80* here one day and the next day it will be snowing and 15*. Do I plant them now or wait till summer? Please help me. Thanks Diana

Answer: If your plants are bareroot, you can plant them in the ground now. Colorado State University has a publication (#1207) that discusses raspberry culture and you might find it helpful.

I cannot find a similar publication for blackberries so they either won't grow well, or they are so easy to grow the university decided there was no reason to write a publication! Contact Colorado State University Cooperative Extension, 888 E. Iliff Avenue, Denver 80210 (720) 913-5270.