The Q&A Archives: wire grass

Question: My lawn has been taken over by wire grass!!
Last year, I paid a professional to kill the entire front yard..but it came back .!! It's ruining my blacktop driveway and flower beds..

Answer: Wire grass is also called devil grass but it is botanically Cynodon dactylon, and grown as bermuda grass - an oft used turfgrass in the southern states. If bermudagrass seeds germinate in areas around ornamental plantings, the seedlings can be controlled with shallow cultivation, hoeing, or a thin layer of mulch.

Herbicides such as Round Up (glyphosate) will kill the plants but not the seeds they leave behind. And, Round Up is a contact vegetation killer so anything it touches will also be damaged. You might have some success by using a pre-emergent such as the corn gluten based product called Concern. Pre emergence products should be applied in February, prior to germination of bermuda grass seeds.

Hope this information helps!