The Q&A Archives: Sharppoint fluvellin

Question: I have a weed in my lawn that looks like a vineit called Sharppoint fluvellin . It has very thick leaves and flowers. What can I do to get rid of it. It's taking over

Answer: Sharp leaved Fluellen is botanically Kickxia elatine, a member of the figwort family. It is very similar to field bindweed and the control is the same. You can pull it out and dig out the roots or you can use a vegetation killer such as Round Up or a broadleaf weed killer such as 2,4-D. These two herbicides are absorbed by foliage and moved throughout the plant to kill roots and shoots. Repeated applications will be necessary, as the root system on this plant can be so immense that insufficient herbicide is absorbed with a single application.