The Q&A Archives: Red Hot poker plant does not bloom

Question: When we moved from North GA to South Ga. 4 yearsa ago I brought some red hot poker plants with me, but none of them have bloomed. What could be the problem

Answer: Red-hot pokers resent dividing so that might be part of the problem. It is also important to plant them in full sun and at the same soil level as they were originally growing. Since they resent dividing, I think this is what happened: First, they just sat and sulked. Then they had to re-establish their root systems. That would account for 2 years of little growth and no flowers. Since these plants grow slowly anyway, it will take them 2-3 years to decide to flower. So, this summer or next, they should flower for you. You can nudge your plants along with an application of a balanced fertilizer or compost this spring. Hope so!

Today's site banner is by clintbrown and is called "Dicentra"