The Q&A Archives: replanting lawn

Question: I have a backyard full of bermuda grass. Some years ago I had rolled out Kentucky bluegrass but the bermuda took over. I would like to know how to get rid of the bermuda and replant a new lawn.

Answer: I wish there were an easy answer to your question, but bermuda grass is extremely difficult to control once it has established itself in a lawn. In fact, there are no herbicides registered effective against bermuda and St. Augustine that are safe to use on bluegrass. Hand pulling and digging is the most effective control technique. Hand pulling/digging will eliminate the current plants but there will be seed left in the lawn so to keep them from germinating next spring, a pre-emergent herbicide should be used in February or March. If you reseed your bluegrass each fall and use a pre-emergent herbicide before the bermuda grass seeds germinate in the spring your bluegrass will eventually overtake the bermuda. Wish I had an easier solution for you!