The Q&A Archives: Compost

Question: First of all, thank you all for the great answers you've been giving me! My question is, if I include grass clippings and weeds in my compost pile, will that cause weeds to grow where I spread the compost?

Answer: Glad you've found our answers helpful! If your compost heap is well tended, you can add grass clippings and weeds. If your compost heap is passive, meaning you are not turning it regularly and helping it cook, you should keep weeds that have gone to seed out of it. The composting process, if it is hot enough, will kill weed seeds. Turning and encouraging this cooking will eliminate the possibility of spreading weed seeds in your garden when you use your finished compost. Hope this answers your question!