The Q&A Archives: water storage problem

Question: Hello there, I planted rose plants, some perennials and spring flower plant in 12

Answer: While this won't be the most attractive solution to your watering problem, it's something I do when I go on vacation. Start by thoroughly watering each of your container plants. Then group them together so they provide a little shade to one another and are protected from drying winds. You mentioned you are using 12" pots. I think you can keep them watered by up-ending a 16 ounce bottle of water in each container. Just fill the bottle with tap water and sink the neck down into the top 2 inches of potting soil. As the soil begins to dry it will draw water from the bottle, a little at a time. In my garden a 16 ounce bottle lasts over a week. If your plants seem quite thirsty, place two water bottles in each pot. The water will only be used if the soil begins to dry out so there's no concern about over or under watering. If you have time, you may want to test this method before you actually go out of town. Hope this helps!