The Q&A Archives: Jackarandas Not Blooming

Question: I planted my trees about seven years ago, but they haven't bloomed yet. I see them all over the area, in bloom. How can I help mine to bloom?

Answer: Jacaranda trees are native to Brazil and grow 25-40 feet high. The fernlike leaves drop in February and March, then the trees flower in June, followed by a new flush of leaves. They require full sunshine and infrequent watering. Jacarandas often fail to flower if exposed to windy condtions, or where heat is inadequate. Hold off on fertilizer and water applications this spring, and water deeply but infrequently this summer. If that doesn't trigger bloom, you may have to relocate your trees to a place where the heat is more concentrated, or the wind doesn't blow regularly.