The Q&A Archives: Desert Trees

Question: Hello: I live in Golden Valley Az.Elev. about 2600-to-3000 Ft. Here's what type of trees I need. Low water Trees for this area is very help-ful. Please give me any Ideas for Trees. Thaxxxxxs

Answer: Mesquites are wonderful trees that provide lots of precious shade in our landscapes. They typically grow very large - to 30 x 30 feet so make sure you have enough room. There are also many other great desert-adapted tree choices, if you dont have your heart set on a mesquite. You might consider: thornless Palo Verde - fabulous fall color from spikes of yellow flowers that hummingbirds adore. Sissoo - bright green leaves, upright growth habit; Fruitless olive - low litter, no thorns; Chinese Pistache - dark green leaves, red fall leaf color; Evergreen Elm - dark green leaves, attractive bark. All are well adapted to droughty conditions. Good luck with your garden!