The Q&A Archives: rodents in garden

Question: I have had a problem with Rodents in my yard.I have orange trees and they come and eat the fruit.I have dogs, so I must be careful with poison.I have been putting out cubes of poison in places my pets can't get them, and the rodents are eating dozens of them, any other suggestions to help me out.I think the surrounding neighbors have them too, but I'm the only one treating them.PLEASE HELP ME

Answer: There are hills and canyons in and around your area where rodents are such an enormous problem that gardening is virtually impossible. In parts of Sacramento, the only way to plant is to sink a fine mesh fence, to a two foot depth, around your garden and drape bird netting over the top. If you want to plant a small tree, a similar fence around the drip line or canopy diameter is needed to prevent rodents from accessing the canopy. It also helps to keep fallen fruit picked up. Sadly, unless your entire neighborhood joins in the eradication project, rodents will continue to raid your garden.