The Q&A Archives: Outdoor Fountain Timer

Question: I want to have a switch on the pump that runs my fountain so that I can turn it on at will and it will go off after a certain amount of time (say 1 hour). This is so I won't forget to turn it off and the fountain goes dry which will burn out the pump. Ideally, it would be like a time switch I installed in my bathroom to run the exhaust fan to remove humidity and odors. Any ideas for outdoors?

Answer: You should be able to purchase a timer at your local Home Depot that goes into the outlet and then you plug your pump into the outlet in the timer so it will come on and go off at certain times. Or, a 24 hour weatherproof inline timer designed for fountain pumps should be available from local companies who sell fountains and patio equipment.