The Q&A Archives: Earwigs Eating My Plants

Question: Earwigs are eating the small plants that I have started from seed as well as the leaves on my rose bushes. What can I do?

Answer: Earwigs are one of those semi-good guys that sometimes become a nuisance (kind of like moles). Although they occasionally chomp on our flowers, they also have the habit of chomping on aphids and certain pest larvae.

Make sure that what is eating your rose flowers really is earwig -- go out at night with a flashlight to look for them. You can trap earwigs with small boards or moistened newspapers set on the soil around your garden. Pick them up in the morning and dump the earwigs into a can of soapy water. Also, keep your garden free from plant debris and rubbish, where earwigs love to hide.