The Q&A Archives: General Care of Poinsettias

Question: I would like to ask you another question. Can you tell me how to take care of Poinsettias, how to grow them, when to grow them, and how to "save" them after the Christmas holiday? Thank you. Mark Ruddy Carbondale, PA

Answer: After the holidays, prolong the bloom by keeping the plant at relatively cool temperatures with plenty of light. After flowering, stop fertilizing and move to a cool, shady spot. In May, cut back and let it grow outdoores all summer, keeping the plant well watered. In the fall resume fertilizing and to encourage blooming, limit light to 10 hours a day with an uninterrupted dark period each night. The plants do not like sudden temperature changes or too much water. Leaf drop will indicate that these situations are occurring.