The Q&A Archives: Vegetables in Containers

Question: I have 2 dogs who LOVE to eat plants, so I wanted to use pots for my gardening or fence off part of my yard. For vegetables such as squash, tomatoes, peppers, etc is sunny or shady better? Also, can I start the plants indoors in pots and transplant them when it is a little warmer?

Answer: Warm season vegetables such as tomatoes, peppers, squash, etc. need all day sunshine in order to grow and produce so place yours in the sunniest spot available. You can start seeds indoors 4-6 weeks prior to your average last frost date. Seedlings will need a source of light to keep them stout instead of leggy so plan on placing them under shop lights or something similar until they are big enough and the weather is warm enough for them to go outdoors. Good luck with your new veggie garden!