The Q&A Archives: moss growing on base of fruit trees

Question: I have moss like stuff growing on the stalk of my fruit trees and i think it may be trying to kill them.I was needing to know what to put os spray on them so it would go away and let my trees devolop good fruit.Ihave peaches/plums/pears and apples..It already killed my weeping willow tree.

Answer: Moss or algae growing at the base of your tree indicates overly wet soil. Typically it does not kill trees, but wet roots can stress or even kill fruit trees. To get rid of the moss or algae, spray it with bordeaux (lime sulfur), available already to spray. Look in the fruit tree section of your garden center. Apply to your trees as instructed on the label. And, try to fix the drainage problem so water doesn't puddle around the trunk of your tree.