The Q&A Archives: Annuals

Question: I am converting a 3 tier outside water fountain into a planter and would like to put annuals in each tier. What sizes shuould I use? Should I fill the tiers with potting soil or leave the plants in the containers the come in from the store?

Answer: The only problem I foresee is with adequate drainage for your plants. If you place potting soil in each tier and then plant, there's no place for excess water to go. Instead, I would suggest simply placing the plants into 3-6 inch containers and then setting the containers into the fountain with the idea of removing them for watering. Or you can plant things that won't mind soggy soils such as hosta, ferns, lobelia, Houttuynia and Tradescantia. Enjoy your new garden!