The Q&A Archives: Plant Spacing

Question: I am a beginner gardener. I have a plot size of 12' x 24' and I don't know how many flowers to buy to make the garden look good. I am planning to use the following flowers:

Coneflower, Magnus; Dianthus, Helen; Coreopsis, Moonbeam; Scabiosa, butterfly blue; and Sedum, autumn joy.

Can you help me?

Answer: Since I don't know the relative quantities you want, I'll give you some approximations. First I'll give you the recommended spacing, then you can block out your garden on paper to get your final numbers:

Sedum, 18" apart
Coneflower, 24" apart
Dianthus, 10" apart
Scabiosa, 12" apart
Coreopsis, 18" apart

I'd start with 16 Sedum, 12 Coneflowers, 28 Dianthus, 24 Scabiosa, and 16 Coreopsis, based on these spacing requirements, to fill up the 12 x 24' bed. Of course you don't need to purchase these all at once--building a perennial bed can take place over years!