The Q&A Archives: Sod

Question: Do I have to do anything special when laying sod. The area has dead I need to remove that grass and if so how do I go about doing that.

Answer: It is important for your new sod to make good contact with the soil and it can't do that with existing grass on the ground. Removing the old grass is easier with a rototiller. After rototilling the area, rake out the old roots and turf along with rocks and other debris, then add organic matter, and till it in. Once you've accomplished these preliminary steps, you can rake the area level and begin laying your sod. It's important that the roots of your new sod make good contact with the soil so you'll want to roll the sod after it's in place, then water it in well.