The Q&A Archives: Flat or bent grass problem

Question: I have what someone has called flat or bent grass taking over my lawn. I am in Rhode Island and it is about 25% of my lawn . It is now brown and has weak roots . How do I get rid of it?

Answer: There is no easy answer because bentgrass is a turfgrass and there are no herbicides that will control bentgrass without also killing your turfgrass. That limits your options to digging out the areas and reseeding, or spot treating each individual patch of bentgrass with a non-selective herbicide or one of the fatty acid type products. The main caution is not to spray the grass you want to keep. If it is sprayed, it will die also. The herbicide will take a week or two (depending
on the time of year it is applied) to kill the grass. When you are removing bent, you may have to make a second application of non-selective herbicide, or you may want to excavate around the treated areas in order to reduce the seed bank. Be sure to apply according to label directions. When the bentgrass is dead, fill in the bare areas with seed or sod.

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"