The Q&A Archives: Best grass

Question: i live in Huntington beach, ca..aprox less then 10miles to the beach...can you give me an idea what is the best grass to grow..i have already roto-tilded the yard. my yard has a nw/sw, also would it be better to use sod or seed...We are trying to plan our summer bbq and would like something that is durable.

Answer: The best choices for turfgrass in your area are Kentucky bluegrass, bent grass, or Bermuda grass. Kentucky blue is the most walkable and holds up well to foot traffic. For an instant lawn, invest in sod. It will be trouble free for years and since the root system is already established the grass will be thick enough to crowd out weeds and sturdy enough for instant foot traffic. If you have more time, you can seed your lawn with Kentucky bluegrass or a mixture of bluegras and rye. It will take a few months for the lawn to be sturdy enough for lots of walking and playing.

Good luck with your landscape!