The Q&A Archives: Mulch Over Newly Planted Seeds

Question: Will placing mulch on top of newly planted seeds (sunflowers and various annuals and perennials) affect the germination, sprouting, and success of the plants? I planted on 4/18 and my condo complex is in the process of mulching the planting beds as I write----

Answer: Hmmm... Remember the directions on the seed packet told you to cover the seed with a sprinkling; 1/8th inch; or 1/4 inch of soil? There's a reason for that. A thick layer of mulch on top of those seedling will definitely affect how they grow. You can also think about why mulch helps prevent weeds...the weed seeds can't grow up through that heavy cover.

If you can't stop the maintenance people from mulching before your seeds are covered, I'm afraid you'll have to uncover them if you want to see the fruits of your labors!