The Q&A Archives: Moss Source

Question: Where can I purchase moss for my garden? If it is not possible to purchase moss, what is the best and quickest way to establish a moss lawn for my garden? (approx. area 20 s.f.)

Answer: There are about 1,000 species of moss in North America. It thrives in a very moist, acidic soil, in heavy shade. In some places in the garden-particularly in rock gardens-moss is very attractive.

Most people I know beg for solutions to get RID of moss. Maybe you can find a neighbor with a shady garden and ask him for some! He'd probably be delighted to get rid of it. Bonsai suppliers sometimes sell moss and/or moss spores. One place to try is The Bonsai Farm , PO Box 130, La Vernia, TX 78121 (512-649-2109); the catalog I have (which is outdated...) lists "Kyoto Moss -- dried, powdered moss for growing your own velvety green moss." They suggest growing it first in a flat. I would check to be sure the moss is hardy enough for your region. You might also try Arrowhead Alpines (PO Box 857, Fowlerville, MI 48836, ph# 517-223-3581). Moss is particular about it's growing conditions, so be sure you can satisfy these before ordering. Most require a moist, acid soil and shade.