The Q&A Archives: Amending Clay Soil in the NW

Question: I live in Pullman, WA and the ground here is mostly clay. The weather is hot and dry in the summer and fairly cold in the winter. What kinds of plants would grow best here other wheat? Mike Sharpe Pullman, WA

Answer: I think there are alot of plants that will grow in Pullman, WA but I would suggest that modifying the clay soil is necessary. This will improve drainage and allow the soil to warm up faster in the spring. Add as much organic matter as you can, working it into the soil. If the situation demands it, you can not only work organic matter INTO the soil but create raised beds by laying it over the soil for improved drainage. I would also suggest that you have a soil test done to see if there are any nutrient deficiencies. Ph can also be determined. When you work the soil, you can then correct pH and add any minerals found deficient. You live in either zone 6 or zone 5 so perennials hardy to those zones would be appropriate as well as vegetables (most anything is possible) as well as many annuals.