The Q&A Archives: Propogating Lemon Thyme

Question: Last fall I purchased a small lemon thyme plant which I planted in a pot and have kept indoors. It has tripled in size since then. This summer I would like to take cuttings and root them so that I may plant the new lemon thyme plants outdoors. I am not sure how to do this (do I want to purchase rooting powder?) and would appreciate any suggestions.

Answer: Fortunately, thyme is easily propagated by cuttings. Simply cut a 3 or 4" long pieces of stem, remove all but the top inch of leaves, and "plant" them in a flat filled with moistened sterile seed-starting mix. Put the entire flat in a plastic bag, tie loosely, and set in a warm place. Check frequently to see that the soil doesn't dry out--try to keep it evenly moist. After about a month, gently tug on one of the stems, to see if roots have formed. A rooting powder may help speed up the root growth.

Another way to multiply the plant is to simply divide the plant and rootball into several smaller plants.