The Q&A Archives: care for plum and cherry

Question: I have a santa rosa plum and a stella and rainer cherry tree. I never do anything to them. The cherry trees are fine but my plum tree could use some help. The leaves seem pale and chewed. I also feel like I should get more plums than I do. the tree was 4 years old when I bought it and has been in the ground for 9 years. It's my favorite fruit. What can I do to help it?

Answer: Your Santa Rosa will set more fruit if there is a suitable pollinator in the neighborhood. Some suitable matches for your Santa Rosa plum include Beauty, Fortune, Hollywood, Santa Rosa, Methley, Cocheco, Shiro, Sprite, and Delight. Without a second plum tree nearby, the fruit set will be sparse.

Plum trees should be fertilized annually for best growth and development. Use a 10-10-10 fertilizer and broadcast the product under the canopy of the tree. The general suggestion is 8 ounces of 10-10-10 per year for each year of tree age. Hope this helps!