The Q&A Archives: Pansies Will Not Grow

Question: I try to grow pansies every year and they just do not do well. We have tried northern exposure, northeast, and southwest. Plants have been placed in pots and in the ground. Help! Any ideas or tips to be successful would be greatly appreciated.

Answer: Pansies thrive in cool, damp weather. They'll quiet down during the hot summer months, then pick up and begin flowering again come fall. I have a number of pansies in my vegetable/herb garden. They look great now...but last year, in early summer, I noticed that something had been munching on the leaves and flowers. Though the plants didn't die off, they certainly didn't thrive. I'm not sure what was doing the munching--slugs? rabbits? mice? --but I didn't see any other damage like it in the garden. Something liked the pansies but nothing else. Could this be happening in your gardens?

I'd try placing the plants where they will get morning and/or late afternoon sun, with some shade during the hottest part of the day, if possible. Mulch well with an organic mulch (although this may attract slugs...) and be sure to keep the soil moist. That's about all the advice I can give you! I'll see how mine do this year--I sure do love those happy little faces!