The Q&A Archives: Planting a Rhododendron

Question: I would like to plant a rhododendron within 10 foot of a tulip tree with a trunk of 24 inch diameter. What would my best approach be for success.

Answer: You may want to do some exploration before deciding to plant your new rhodie beneath your tulip tree. You won't want to sever any of the tree's roots during the planting process. Check the soil moisture, too. Typically soils beneath trees are dry because tree roots are close to the surface. Anything you plant beneath your tulip tree will have to compete for moisture and nutrients and because the tree roots are larger, they usually win. With this in mind, dig carefully and move large roots out of the way instead of severing them with your shovel. Good luck with your rhodie!

Today's site banner is by Lestv and is called "Butterfly on Spider Lily"