The Q&A Archives: Over seeding warm season grass

Question: I have a yard with several types of warm season grass. The area in the shade is very sparse. Can I overseed or do must I use sod? When should I overseed and what seed should I use. Located in Greenville SC

Answer: Not too many turfgrasses will grow well in the shade so overseeding will probably be an annual thing in the shady spot. Tall fescue is the most shade tolerant of all turfs but Kentucky blue will work in your growing region. If you install sod in the area the grass will be thick and lush for a couple of years because the roots are already well established in sod, but eventually the grass will die out due to lack of sunshine and you will need to reseed again. You might consider turning the shady area into a flower bed instead of trying to grow grass there. A shade loving ground cover such as pachysandra or vinca minor will remain green all year around.

Best wishes with your landscape.