The Q&A Archives: Basil Falling Over

Question: I started a flower box with basil in my kitchen, thinned as directed, now the plants have turned pale green, lost their smell, and are growing crooked and laying down. I keep pinching the new leaves to possibly build strength in the stem and encourage a bushy plant but it doesn't seem to help.

Answer: It sounds like your plants aren't getting enough light. Basil should do alright in a sunny, south-facing window, but won't thrive with less light. It's possible that over- or under-watering is a factor, and if the plants are more than a few inches tall and you haven't fertilized them, that could be a factor in the pale coloring. But my first guess is lack of light. If you're sure the above are all fine, then it's possible it is a disease problem.