The Q&A Archives: Something is Eating my Leaves

Question: I have a small garden with various hot and sweet peppers, tomatoes, corn, eggplant and onions. I am seeing small holes in the leaves of all my plant, except for the hot peppers, onions and corn. I do not know what type of pest it would be. I am looking for a "natural" form of pest control.

Answer: Holes in the leaves of garden plants could be caused by several insects including caterpillars and beetles. If you can't catch the culprits in the act during the day, try checking the garden out with a flashlight at night as some insects are nocturnal in their habits.

Some holes here and there are nothing to worry about. If however you feel the damage is reaching a level that warrants control there are several natural options. Products containing pyrethrins and rotenone are organic and quite effective. Products containing neem are another choice to consider. If the culprits are caterpillars, a product containing Bacillus thuringiensis (B.T.) would also be a good choice. Try to identify the culprit first, however.