The Q&A Archives: Some Suggestions for a Cut Flower Garden

Question: I have just prepared a bed for cut flowers in my yard. It gets full sun all day, a great southern exposure, and is about 9 feet by 2.5 feet. What would you recommend for cut flowers in the bed to have color all season long? I really like lisianthus, stock, statice, freesia, delphinium, and many other things. I'd like a real variety of color and textures, but don't know how to plan to lay out the garden to have lots of blooms. Any suggestions or mixtures you'd recommend? Karen Cook Atlanta, GA

Answer: If you use the plants you've mentioned, your bed will have bloom in early to midsummer (stocks and delphinium) and summer to fall (statice). I'm not sure about the lisianthus (eustoma) and freesia, but I suspect bloom will occur in midsummer. You could plant "cut-and-come-again" varieties: ageratum, aster, calendula, carnation tithonia snapdragons, to name a few. These plants are stimulated to produce more blooms the more they are cut. So you will have blooms all summer. A mix a perennials and annuals is good because when the perennials are done the annual will provide you with flowers throughout the summer. I suggest you go to a local bookstore and investigate books that give information about a great many plants.