The Q&A Archives: Overwintered Geraniums

Question: Last fall, I rooted several cuttings from some healthy geranium plants I had growing outdoors, and overwintered them indoors. All are doing well. While not leggy, they are definitely not very full. Should I cut them back? How far?

Answer: Yes, you can cut your plants back to promote bushiness. Simply prune them back to just above a leaf. As they grow, you can continue to pinch the growing tips to force new stems. Try to do this early in the season, so the plant will have time to form flower buds. Wait until the weather has warmed up and all danger of frost is past before planting outdoors. And don't forget to harden the plants off by gradually exposing them, over the course of a week or two, to outdoor temperatures, sunlight, and wind.