The Q&A Archives: Mixing Flowers with Vegetables

Question: I have a 22' x 12' garden that is usually used for vegetables. This year I would like to cut back on the amount of
vegetables being planted, and add some color with annuals and maybe a few perennials as well. Any suggestions on what I can mix successfully with tomatoes, cucumbers and squash?

Answer: The secret to companion planting is to choose annuals and perennials with the same cultural requirements as your veggies. Since you're growing heat and sunshine-loving veggies, choose plants with similar needs: zinnias, saxifage, asters, Rockcress, Sea Thrift, ice plant, sedum, thyme and mint. Marigolds, sage, lavender, and dahlias would grow well with your veggies, too. Try them all and see which ones you like best.