The Q&A Archives: Lawn for a new house

Question: My new home is just completed and I have to have my grass planted before the Fairfax County issues my residential occupancy. Would you please give me some advice or resources how to start about that? Should I go with grass seed or Sod?

Nahid Sabti

Answer: Sod produces an almost instant lawn; seeding takes longer and needs more care while it is coming up and becoming thick. Eventually, the sod or seed-started grass will look and feel the same, assuming that it is the same grass variety. The underlying soil preparation steps for sod or seed are the same to insure a healthy turf: Remove all debris and large rocks. Establish rough grade at one inch below the sprinkler heads by filling in low spots and leveling high spots. Add soil amendments. Till in the amendments at least 4 to 6 inches deep, but 6-8 is better. Don?t leave them in layers on top of the soil. Decide what type of irrigation system you're going to use and install that. Water to settle the sprinkler trenches and soil and to build water reserves in the soil. Allow the soil to dry for one to three days so that it is workable. Don?t work wet soil, which can damage its structure permanently. It should crumble easily in your hands if it?s workable. Rake and level the surface. When sowing seed, divide the seed in 2 equal lots. Spread the first lot in one direction; spread the 2nd lot in the opposite direction. This criss-cross pattern insures more even coverage. After spreading, lightly rake the area. Go over it with a roller half filled with water. Spread no more than a 1/4 inch of mulch to help retain moisture. Water to soak the soil 6 inches deep. Then water up to 3 or 4 times per day, 5-10 minutes each time to keep everything moist while germinating. After several weeks, cut back to once a day. Good luck with your lawn!