The Q&A Archives: Composting

Question: I didn't set up my bin until the other day. In the meantime I had weeds set aside in a shallow box which was my 3rd layer. I had dry leaves 2

Answer: Although you inadvertantly introduced ants into your compost bin, they probably would have shown up on their own in the future. Ants are some of nature's best recyclers and they are common in compost bins. They may leave on their own if your compost gets hot (which it should if you turn it periodically to keep it cooking). Red worms don't like heat and will bury themselves down as far as possible to escape the heat. The ants won't attack the red worms - each little creature has its own job to do in the compost bin and these two don't consider one another a threat.