The Q&A Archives: Growing Flowers from Seed in Tucson, AZ

Question: I would like to grow flowers from seed. I live in Tucson, Arizona and I am uncertain about when would be the best time to plant which seeds so that I can have flowers year round. Do you have a guide that you could send me that lists which seeds should be planted when. I am only interested in flowers at this time, not vegetables. Thank you very much! Denise Showell Tucson,AZ

Answer: First select the types of annual flowers you'd like to grow by looking in a catalog or at your local garden center. Most seed companies provide information on when to plant their seed right on the seed packet. The average date of last frost in your area is March 10th. The seed packet will tell you how many weeks before that date you must start your seeds indoors. Once that date has been reached, you can safely set out your plants. Some plants, however, like warm soil so you will have to wait for those kinds of plants. If you wish to plant your seeds directly into the soil, you must wait until that date. Call any local nursery to find out the approriate time for planting. I hope this answers your question.